Richard Hoggart Building, Goldsmiths University

New Cross, 2014

We were commis­sioned by Goldsmiths University of London to redesign the entrance and forecourt to the Richard Hoggart building. 

The Richard Hoggart Building is the symbolic centre of the College. It was the first building of the Goldsmiths’ Technical and Recreative Institute’ founded by the Worshipful Company of Goldsmiths in 1891.

500 Grh 06
500 Grh 05

The building is Grade II listed and the complex houses the George Wood Theatre.

The design re-presents and enhances the setting of the building, removing the existing car park and providing new outside social spaces, soft landscaping and provides a fully accessible route to the entrance. 

500 Grh 03
500 Grh 01

Inside, the existing load bearing structure has been opened up to spacious while the existing arches to the Great Hall have been reopened and glazed using switchable glass. This has the option of being clear or opaque to suit the operational require­ments of the Hall. 

The project was extensive in scope including complete repointing and redec­or­ation of the external facades and repairs to rainwater pipes, major structural work in the main entrance of the building, and detailed high quality fitting out of the main spaces, all within the context of a busy, working University environment.

Client: Goldsmiths University of London

Filed to: Learning & Workspace

500 Grh 08