Woolwich Baths

Conversion of the Woolwich Baths to Students’ Union

This building for the Students’ Union on the Woolwich Campus was formerly the Woolwich Public Baths opened in June 1894 with baths for men and women and first and second class swimming pools.

A key part of the design strategy was to maintain flexibility in the use of the spaces to ensure that the building could accommodate future changes in space need. To that end alternative schemes were prepared which included possibilities for future mezzanine floors in the main spaces and alternative approaches for the planning of the bar and cafe areas.

The new accommodation provides a major venue for events that can hold 1000, a bar, games room and cafe. The remaining space has been adopted to provide reception, offices for administration, welfare, communications and staff, bar stores, cloakrooms and shops.

Conversion of the Woolwich Baths to Students’ Union

This building for the Students’ Union on the Woolwich Campus was formerly the Woolwich Public Baths opened in June 1894 with baths for men and women and first and second class swimming pools.

A key part of the design strategy was to maintain flexibility in the use of the spaces to ensure that the building could accommodate future changes in space need. To that end alternative schemes were prepared which included possibilities for future mezzanine floors in the main spaces and alternative approaches for the planning of the bar and cafe areas.

The new accommodation provides a major venue for events that can hold 1000, a bar, games room and cafe. The remaining space has been adopted to provide reception, offices for administration, welfare, communications and staff, bar stores, cloakrooms and shops.