Avery Hill Library, Eltham

The Great Hall or Picture Gallery forms part of the grade 2 listed Avery Hill Mansion built by Colonel J.T. North in 1896 to the designs of Thomas Cutler. The University of Greenwich now occupies the buildings and the practice was commissioned to extend the Hall to provide improved accommodation for the library. The project provided 4000 linear metres of shelving and 80 study spaces.

The work was carried out in three phases to allow continued access to the library collections throughout term times. Much space has been won within the envelope of the existing buildings by the insertion of new mezzanine structures which add both space and amenity.

The new mezzanines were conceived as freestanding galleries linked by a demountable bridge and accessed via a spiral staircase and a lift concealed within an original service void. The construction is fully demountable which offers the long term opportunity to reinstate the original form of the Hall.

The Great Hall or Picture Gallery forms part of the grade 2 listed Avery Hill Mansion built by Colonel J.T. North in 1896 to the designs of Thomas Cutler. The University of Greenwich now occupies the buildings and the practice was commissioned to extend the Hall to provide improved accommodation for the library. The project provided 4000 linear metres of shelving and 80 study spaces.

The work was carried out in three phases to allow continued access to the library collections throughout term times. Much space has been won within the envelope of the existing buildings by the insertion of new mezzanine structures which add both space and amenity.

The new mezzanines were conceived as freestanding galleries linked by a demountable bridge and accessed via a spiral staircase and a lift concealed within an original service void. The construction is fully demountable which offers the long term opportunity to reinstate the original form of the Hall.

The Great Hall or Picture Gallery forms part of the grade 2 listed Avery Hill Mansion built by Colonel J.T. North in 1896 to the designs of Thomas Cutler. The University of Greenwich now occupies the buildings and the practice was commissioned to extend the Hall to provide improved accommodation for the library. The project provided 4000 linear metres of shelving and 80 study spaces.

The work was carried out in three phases to allow continued access to the library collections throughout term times. Much space has been won within the envelope of the existing buildings by the insertion of new mezzanine structures which add both space and amenity.

The new mezzanines were conceived as freestanding galleries linked by a demountable bridge and accessed via a spiral staircase and a lift concealed within an original service void. The construction is fully demountable which offers the long term opportunity to reinstate the original form of the Hall.

The Great Hall or Picture Gallery forms part of the grade 2 listed Avery Hill Mansion built by Colonel J.T. North in 1896 to the designs of Thomas Cutler. The University of Greenwich now occupies the buildings and the practice was commissioned to extend the Hall to provide improved accommodation for the library. The project provided 4000 linear metres of shelving and 80 study spaces.

The work was carried out in three phases to allow continued access to the library collections throughout term times. Much space has been won within the envelope of the existing buildings by the insertion of new mezzanine structures which add both space and amenity.

The new mezzanines were conceived as freestanding galleries linked by a demountable bridge and accessed via a spiral staircase and a lift concealed within an original service void. The construction is fully demountable which offers the long term opportunity to reinstate the original form of the Hall.

The Great Hall or Picture Gallery forms part of the grade 2 listed Avery Hill Mansion built by Colonel J.T. North in 1896 to the designs of Thomas Cutler. The University of Greenwich now occupies the buildings and the practice was commissioned to extend the Hall to provide improved accommodation for the library. The project provided 4000 linear metres of shelving and 80 study spaces.

The work was carried out in three phases to allow continued access to the library collections throughout term times. Much space has been won within the envelope of the existing buildings by the insertion of new mezzanine structures which add both space and amenity.

The new mezzanines were conceived as freestanding galleries linked by a demountable bridge and accessed via a spiral staircase and a lift concealed within an original service void. The construction is fully demountable which offers the long term opportunity to reinstate the original form of the Hall.